Friday, October 21, 2005

Cracking Rocks

Got to climb trees and crack open rocks on Tuesday. Katie insisted on bringing home a lot of rocks to create a rock garden. I didn't think it would be a problem, since she dug them out of the beach volleyball court on the playground. These were really sizable rocks, ones I would not want to land on if I was playing volleyball.

We made "Halloween Pie" (a pumpkin pie recipe from the back of the book "Halloween Pie") with fresh whipped cream--which we had to whip by hand since I couldn't find the right attachment for the mixer. It was all sooooooo gooooooood.

We also did an unusual amount of worksheets this week. I needed some proof that they could actually follow directions and I let them know that if they couldn't show me that ability with their actions, they would need to fill out worksheets to prove it. They have been a bit more attentive since then. They can also add up sets of four numbers now, so that was nice to see.

Discovered that leaving a subject alone for a few days to percolate often helps. Katie was driven to tears trying to figure out how to make $1.40 out of a variety of coin choices. After explaining it a few different ways, I suggested she leave it alone for a while. Sure enough, this week she breezed right through it. So, I think we'll let fractions perk for a few weeks now too.

It's turning cold and it's nice to see my warm-weather clothes again. Katie long-legs needs new pants, last year's are all floods now.

No comments: