Friday, September 24, 2010

Dis pt 3

I had a very detailed schedule but was going to try to be mellow about it--not easy for this control-freak uber-planner, plus Disney heightens all of that for me. To make this a bit easier, I set aside the first and last days of the trip as "beach days" although I did have a nagging feeling that one of them should come in the middle instead. More about that when we get to Animal Kingdom...

So, 9/5--Beach Day

I didn't even make lunch plans since we were so close to Epcot, I figured we breeze over and eat there.

We were up pretty early and had breakfast in the room. I called to the front desk to see when Stormalong Bay opened up and was told 7am. Great! We dressed in bathing suits and headed down around 8:30am. CLOSED! It is the quiet pool that opens at 7am. SAB opens at 10am.

BUM-MER

We settled the kids into the pool, gave them a serious talking to about why it is called the quiet pool and Pete and I went for a walk around the lake to see the Boardwalk.

We got back around 9:30am and took a dip then walked over to the big pool. That's when we learned that we were not allowed to use the float rings we brought with us (and had gone dizzy blowing up the day before). They were frosted on the bottom and, despite the email I got from Disney, were not allowed. Apparently they need to be clear all through. So, $20 later we had two humongous inner tubes rented for the day.

We headed over to Epcot around 11:30am to see about lunch. I envisioned this as a brief visit just to eat. So much for my plan :-)

Just at the International Entrance there was a sign for the Kim Possible missions and I figured we should grab a pass for it in case we wanted to do one, then we wouldn't have to worry about when to fit it in another day.

We went over to the world showcase to figure out what to eat. It wasn't very long before I started to feel the heat pound on my head but I thought I'd snap out of it.

Still, I couldn't resist stopping when Brer Fox and Brer Bear (in Epcot, really?) showed up with no lines! Our first character meet and greets of the trip!



Pete liked the menu at Morocco, but the kids and I were less thrilled. We shopped around a bit while Pete ordered his food and then we sat down to figure out what to do next. Italy seemed like a good idea but as we roamed in that direction I saw on the map that there is no walk up restaurant there. Then I saw Turkey legs and suggested that. The kids were game and we ordered three at the whopping price of $7 each. Then we got them--what kind of turkeys were these?! Each leg was about as big as Katie's. Two would have been more than enough, but we were stuck with them and dug in.


Zack reluctantly posing in a Fez


and Katie being a total goofball in a beaded headdress

Since we had walking food we tried Kim Possible. Some technical glitches later we were on our first mission. The heat was now killing me and I now knew why I spent so much on a sun hat--which I had left in the room. Lesson learned--I had it with me for the rest of the trip. Lesson not learned (again, more about that at Animal Kingdom) don't be in a park from noon-3pm.

The mission was fun. Zack and I did a second one but Pete and Katie shopped around instead. Smart--shops are air conditioned. Pete had bought chocolate in Germany which was very melty by the time we got to share it. Yummy though. We all met up in Japan and enjoyed that shop quite a bit.

I was melting and requested we head back to the hotel but Pete was longing for a trip to Norway to check out bags he'd seen on our last trip and I couldn't pass up Maelstrom in Norway as the wait was a mere 5 minutes! The Boat ride was as campy as ever and I loved it. We wandered the shop, but were getting tired and moved slowly. I also realized that extra time would need to be allotted to Katie for trading pins throughout the rest of the trip.


Zack as a Viking


and apparently you can pick a troll's nose.

We headed back, stopping for a show in Paris, which I swore we took pictures of, but can't now find. Then, as we dragged ourselves toward the exit,...there....was.....Mary Poppins!!!!!! Katie and I were ecstatic to see her but even more so when she stopped for a photo opps right next to us!


A jolly holiday with Mary.

I hit the pool's lazy river for a while, Zack did the slide and swam around and Katie and Pete napped in the room.

Hollywood Studio had Fantasmic that night and I figured it was a good time to catch it. We ran a bit late, but our seats were fine. We had brought lots of extra glow sticks so had our own glow and were also able to give them out to the children sitting around us. Rain drizzled a bit, but then was lost in the mist from the show and gone by the end.

The show was great and would have been a nice end to the day, but I just couldn't resist the thought that the Magic Kingdom had extra magic hours. We jumped on a bus to the Contemporary, then onto the monorail and over to the MK. We saw some of the fireworks from the train.



I was stunned at the crowd for extra hours. We spent a very long time getting dinner at Cosmic Rays and were disappointed that the waits at Space Mountain and Buzz were upwards of an hour at 11pm! The kids hit Stitch, which Pete and I took a pass on--nice K&Z are old enough to do things on their own. Then the kids hit the teacups and we were done in for the night.



Next, we're goin' Hollywood.

##

No comments: