Friday, February 09, 2007

Day at the Museum

Spent a good portion of the day in the National Gallery. Pete's folks are visiting and his dad wanted to spend some time there. Good idea since it was freezing out and there's a connector to both buildings so no need to brave the elements.

It's great to see the kids in an art museum now. They really give their attention to the work now and want to know more about the whys and stories behind them. Easy in the older works, harder in the modern section.

I also need to reign in my temptation to make everything a lesson. I noticed that Pete and his dad felt the desire to act as art professors as well. That certainly curbed my pontifications today but I completely understand the desire.

Kate and Zack do a good job of ignoring the stuff that doesn't interest them and tuning in to what they care about. If I let them ask, their questions are pretty interesting. Zack thought a self portrait by Gauguin looked like a Picasso. I would have never made the connection myself. Once I got thinking about it, I'd say maybe more like Dali or Miro, but what the heck? He's making connections and that's great.

It was also nice to see what they remember from previous visits and how much they enjoy recognizing paintings they already know.

I'm so jazzed about our San Francisco trip next week. They'll be so much to see and the kids will help me see the city in a whole new way, I'm sure. Plus getting vacation with just the four of us is sooooooo needed.

OK, my hands are freezing. Time to get off the keyboard.






No comments: