Saturday, February 24, 2007

Steve, farewell

Before I can write about our trip to San Francisco, I need to say a few words about Steve Finer.

We learned when we got to SF that he had died in a freak accident in September and that word had never reached us. We were looking forward to seeing him during our trip. I had never met his wife or their 2 year-old son and it had been years since he had seen Katie and Zack.

The news was shocking to say the least and so Pete and I dealt with various levels of sadness throughout the trip and it has especially hit me since we've been back. Don't know if I just put it aside for the sake of enjoying the trip or if it got more real since returning to my real life.

Steve was a great guy who took life in great big bites. He wasted no time in going after whatever he wanted. That included a move from Boston to San Francisco, marriage, fatherhood, fixing up old cars, getting involved in the production of a TV show and running his own business. Any conversation about loyalty would always bring Steve to mind. He was one of the most loyal friends with an honest interest in whatever was up for you. He was enjoying his married life and thrilled and awed at being a father. I was never a close friend, Pete was much tighter with him, but I will miss him and miss knowing that this constant source of energy and creativity is now missing.

You can see some about him at:
Art of the Chopper

and here:
Guestbook

and when you have a second, send a little energy or a prayer out to his wife Yuki and son Abi.

And don't waste time waiting for your life. It's happening right now.

--Liz

No comments: