Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Math...again

I had success with math yesterday and today.

After using the teacher's directions that come with our curriculum, and seeing Zack sink deeper and deeper into confusion, I suddenly remembered how I was taught to do it way back when.

I like our curriculum and it's more or less working for the kids. I like that it integrates algebra and geometry along with learning plus, minus, times and divide. I even like that the author likes kids to know the WHY behind the solutions. But sometimes, they just want to know how to get the problems done.

So, back to yesterday, there I am with place values, zeros, blocks and a confused child exclaiming "this is so much to remember!" When it hit me that the way to remember to move it over a place value is to draw a set of steps that would automatically shove the next number over a place. And Zack didn't care WHY it worked, he just liked that it worked.

I completely skipped all the blocks and zeroes for Katie and lo and behold, skipping the ultra confusing place value issue (a big challenge for Katie since the beginning of math) WORKED!

Yes, I'll go back and re-cover the whys, but today they just wanted to learn the hows and that's really fine even if Mr. Math-U-See doesn't agree.

Zack just now exclaimed "You know mom, this is easier than I thought!"

Heaven.

No comments: