Saturday, March 15, 2008

Skating, Cali and whatever else

Looking back to figure out what I haven't mentioned here yet.

First, Katie is taking skating lessons and doing great. She went from hanging on the walls and falling all over the place to skating backwards in three lessons!

Katie on the ice
Zack has been playing more with his Heroscape set and recently built a set up using all of his pieces, including the Marvel comics set he got from the Ebel's for Christmas. It included a waterfall, lake, icecaps, rocks and grasslands. He and Pete played the "Ultimate Battle" using all the pieces and...Zack won!

Zack and the "Ultimate" battlefield

We all got our eyes checked. Pete has super-cool new specs. Zack is waiting for new specs, still just for reading but it looks like he will need them full-time at some point. Katie's eyes have actually improved, so she will stick with the same glasses until she grows out of them or needs a change. I am fine. Looks like my eyes have gone down to normal, which looks incredibly blurry to me, but is normal for everyone else. I still don't understand how people stumble around with this vision! But, even at my advanced age, no glasses for me yet.

Girl Scouts is still kicking my butt. A lot to keep track of so I can set the girls up well for getting a bronze award. I feel like it's my job to do that, but the older girls aren't especially interested and I wonder why some of them are coming sometimes. Then, on other occasions they get very excited to be there. Life with tweens!

The RV trip plans are a bit stalled (no pun intended). Pete is in the midst of helping plan the band's summer tour and I think it's too overwhelming to take on RV plans at the same time. But I'm moving along getting rid of more things on ebay, craigslist and freecycle. There's always something in the depths of a closet that needs to go!

Pete (and the band) are getting great reviews on their new album. Pete has been called "Herculean" and "Keith Moonesque" wow!

I just got back from a site visit to Palm Desert for an event I'm doing in May. It was very nice, VERY dry and an exhausting trip to round trip in three days.

View from my room in Palm Desert

We went bowling at the Fort Myer bowling alley. Had SO much fun! And cheap too. Even though it's on base, it's open to the public. I had no idea. Hoping this will become a regular rainy day activity for our Friday group. We do have to stop for a car search on the way in, but no biggie.

Gma and Gpa are on their cross country trip and we have been pinning their postcards to the wall map as we get them. Looking forward to seeing their pictures when they get back.

The kids are blowing through division in their math books, putting my advice to take time to memorize the multiplication tables or it would be hard to shame. No complaints here. Looks like we can can the CAT test next month at this rate.

Katie is going to Girl Scout sleep away camp this summer. She's nervous, but is going with a friend so agreed to give it a try. Zack will go to Boy Scout camp at the end of the summer and several boys from his troop are going. He doesn't seem nervous but I am. It's farther away than Katie's camp and boys can be tough on each other.

Going to send him to the next camp-out along and see how that goes first.

Buds are on the tree and crocuses and daffodils are blooming! Hope there is spring in the air for you too.

Katie Skating movie

No comments: