Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The days go by

Tuesday with the unschoolers again and everyone had great time.

One woman was collecting stuffed animals for Katrina evacuees just as I had a bag all packed up and ready for Goodwill. Glad they will be of some use. I'm actually supposed to go to Dallas this weekend and am wondering if storm Rita will be changing my plans for me. Will have to keep an eye on the situation there. Though I really want to see my friends, the thought of flying when the weather is so awful is not a pleasant one.

I also asked around about what people are submitting to Fairfax Co. to show proof of advancement for their kids. Everyone agreed that testing was the easiest and safest. I have been stressing out over putting together portfolios. It's been keeping me up some nights. It's really hard to document every little thing and something don't really have a thing to go with them, like long conversations about the Constitution for example.

In any case, it was nice to learn that Fairfax will accept the CAT test, which is fairly painless for kids to take and reasonable to get through the mail. So, even though I will still keep portfolios going for our own purposes, we will likely give the CAT test a try. Now for some good nights' sleep.

Today was mostly taken up by dentist appointments. The kids' teeth look great, I have to go back to fix a loose filling and cracked tooth. Yecch. We tried to go to a train museum in Fairfax and were very disappointed to learn, after sitting in annoying traffic, that they are only open on Sundays. We back tracked and stopped at the Fairfax Museum which is very small but interesting. Funny-- I didn't think the kids were enjoying it much, but when we went to write in journals tonight they each chose to write about the museum. I thought they would focus on the dentist. Interesting.

No comments: