Thursday, September 29, 2005

I've got a cold in my nose-oh

I've got a cold in my nose. So, since there's no substitute teacher coming in today ;-) we will be taking it easy and mostly reading and story writing.

Well, I really did intend to keep up with this site, but time has been flying! What have we been up to?

4 hours at the Zoo last Thursday. Very nice not to be rushing or elbowing our way in through throngs of people, just had to be sure not to trip over small kids or get in the way of strollers. We found parts of the zoo we had never seen before. Also recorded more butterflies on Katie's chart.

Kate's working on fractions on the math program. Friday she asked for worksheets. We have plenty of them so she was kept very busy with reading comprehension, directions, and adding.

Zack is on geometry (shapes/area) on the math program and much prefers it to worksheets.

I finally bought some paint and will be setting up the easel outside so they can do that without worrying about the mess. Will also use the pre-school trick of adding dish soap to the paint for easy wash out.

Pete and I cleaned out the stuff I had stored in his office and moved it over to the other room off the basement. Next, he's tackling filing and then we'll probably move on to handling his storage needs in the office. During the cleanup I came across a box we haven't unpacked in the last three moves at least. Turns out there was a Barbie dune buggy and camper for Katie and a Troll with a little troll tucked inside for Zack and my old stuffed Tiger lovey I've had since I was about two years old. Tiger! I thought he'd been lost.

As you can see, he has definitely graduated to being Real.

If you don't know how that happens, check this out: http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/williams/rabbit/rabbit.html

I was off to Dallas for the weekend, where Rita turned out to be a big nothing and I caught this cold. Got back on Monday afternoon. Pete had spent the day with the kids working on books, cleaning up and something else I don't remember.

Tuesday we had unschoolers, some math a rushed trip to Costco, Zack's fencing and we began to send out postcards for the postcard exchange. We've only received one back so far but that's fine because the big map I was expecting to get at Costco wasn't there anymore. Spent yesterday from 10:30-3 in the Smithsonian Natural Science and Am Hist museums. The kids are old enough to go into the Hands on Science room now and we fooled around with electric circuits, measuring the distance tot he moon with lasers, and did a scientist-led experiment to extract DNA which was really cool but the scientist was really boring. Too bad. We also saw lots of different kinds of lava and a giant globe of the tectonic plates.

Katie want to do flowers as her next project, Zack hasn't picked one yet, but I think it may end up being Mummies--he loved the ones at the museum or Greek gods, which he would like Grandpa E to paint on his walls. Zack informs me that Grandpa can paint anything, so it should be no big deal.

So, today I'm feeling yucky and the weather is yucky too. Think we will probably sit down with some worksheets, read lots of books and watch a Magic School bus episode. If they sun peeks out, will also send them out to do some messy stuff like painting or drawing in shaving cream. Messy play, easy cleanup. Nice.

No comments: